Monday, April 1, 2013

Easy & delish Easter cupcakes from a box! (What?!?)

GASP!!! Yes, I didn't miss-title my post.  I love baking from scratch, but life gets busy and sometimes that is just not feasible.  This Easter was my time to be busy.  I wanted to make some cute cupcakes, but did not have the time to start all the way from the beginning.  I decided to make some from the box...BUT, I always change it up some to make the "from the box" cupcakes taste less like they are "from a box".

When I am using a box for a cake or cupcakes I always change two things:

** Replace the water for milk
** Add an extra egg

By doing these two simple changes, it makes the cake moister and more fluffy.  In addition, you can replace the oil with apple sauce, but if you do that, I would recommend not replacing it entirely.  Keep at least 2 tablespoons of the oil.  This will help bind the batter and not make it too heavy.

 
Using the changes I stated above, mix the batter together either by hand or with an electric mixer.  Make sure to scrape the sides and the bottom so you don't end up with any dry chunks (yuck).
 
 
Normally, you fill the cupcakes 1/2- 2/3 full to make 24.  This time, I didn't want so many since we were having a smaller dinner so I filled them a bit fuller and made only 15.
* note: three year old helper is optional ;)
In my oven, 22 minutes is the perfect amount of time for cupcakes.  Remember to rotate the pans half way through so ensure even cooking!
 
 
Now for the decorating!
 
This is SO easy.  You will need Peeps (I picked bunnies), toothpicks, frosting and green candy sprinkles.
 
 
 
Frost the cupcakes, sprinkle the green sugar on top.  I had two shades of green so I used both.  Then stick a toothpick half way through the Peep and stick in the cupcake!
Umm, done :)
 
You could use colored coconut or green frosting as an alternative.
These were super easy and a BIG hit with the kids!  I will definitely be making them again next year.
 
Happy baking!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love with a comment!!