Monday, February 18, 2013

What's for dinner? {Slow cooker shredded chicken}

Spoiler alert!!!  I can get lazy at times...like lots of times!  As I was categorizing my blog posts the other day, I realized I am seriously lacking in the recipe department!!  Is that because I have been SO lazy lately, and haven't been trying new recipes?? Probably!  This made me remember that I have been wanting to rate some Pinterest recipes and share them with you all.
 
For my introductory "What's for dinner" post, I will share what I made for dinner earlier tonight, Shredded Chicken Sandwiches in the crock pot.
 
This was the original link:
 
I pinned it because it looked yummy.  I've had some chicken in the fridge for a few days and needed to make something with it but was feeling...wait for it....LAZY!  So I wanted to make something in the crock pot and since I still have lots of left over buns from Hannah's party I figured shredded chicken.
 
 
I modified it some to turn it into shredded chicken instead of beef.
 
Shredded Chicken Sandwiches in the Crock Pot
3 chicken breasts
1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
1/2 c ketchup
1/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c. chicken stock
1/2 t dried parsley
1/4 t. garlic powder
pepper to taste
 
Mix all the ingredients, except the chicken and pepper, in the crock pot.  Sprinkle the chicken with the pepper and place in the crock pot.
 

 
Cook on LOW for 6 hours.  Shred the chicken with two forks after about 5 hours and then let look for another hour.

I put a smidge of ranch dressing on the bun and added some spring greens.  We had steamed broccoli with it.  Mr. Pea was at work so it was just me and the peas. There is plenty left over for him later and some more.
 
Overall results: 5 * rating
Easiness- ***** SUPER easy!!!  I put it all in the pot and did nothing else :)
Healthiness- **** I don't have an exact calorie count, but it was pretty healthy.  I didn't have an WW buns, which would've made it better.
Taste-  ***** Yum!  It had a nice, light flavor and it made the house smell good.
Cost- **** Depending on how much you pay for chicken, that it! The other ingredients I have on hand.
Best audience- family friendly
And the biggest test of all...did the peas eat it?!?!  YES they all ate a small sandwich!  Hooray!
 
Look for a new "What's for Dinner?" post every week.  This will help me to be less lazy and actually COOK more!
 
Happy {crock pot} cooking!
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love with a comment!!