Monday, December 17, 2012

Easy holiday snack mix

As you know, I made the teachers wreaths for Christmas, but I needed something for Abby's "helper teachers" so I decided to make an easy but yummy snack mix.
 
To make this, you will need:
3c. Honey nut cheerios
3c. rice chex
2 c. mini pretzels**
two bags of holiday m and m's
1 c. peanuts, unshelled
2 bags of white chocolate chips
2T shortening
**note, when I bought this stuff, Fry's had some strange pretzel shortage and the only bag I could find was ONE bag of unsalted, but normally I would've chosen regular


I found these cute canisters at the dollar store and will used some green ribbon to tie around them.

Mix all the ingredients together, except the chocolate and shortening, in a large bowl or pot.


Melt the chocolate in the microwave and when it's almost done, add the shortening and mix it in.  This will help thin the chocolate.
Stir in the chocolate into the snack mix and let cool on a large piece of parchment paper.  Now, when I made mine, I mis-judged how much I would need to fill the containers, so I had doubled the original recipe.  I had TONS left over!  Ooops.

I filled the four jars for Abby's teachers and will have her hand write hands when she gets home from school.
 
What did I do with all my leftovers?!?  Well, I will take them to the preschool, and let those lovely ladies share it.  I wish I had more cute jars, but I don't, so this container will have to do :)
 
 
This snack mix probably took me 20 minutes to make from start to finish.  It is also fairy inexpensive to make so it's nice for when you have to make gifts in bulk.
 
I will be delivering all my gifts tomorrow, so hopefully everyone will like them!
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love with a comment!!