Friday, August 10, 2012

My first post!!

Well...my first blog post...here is it!! Having spent more than 3 hours last night just getting the blog ready to post on, I already have high expectations..haha!  But seriously, I have toyed with the idea of writing a blog for almost a year now.  It's a good way to share with family and friends what the Thomas Clan is up to and also to share some of my words of wisdom sprinkled with a hilarious story or two.  My mom, who passed away in March from breast cancer, always said I should write one.  I even registered this page almost a year ago!!  My hesitation was that my fear that I would be writing for an audience of one, and what would be the point of that?  I am already living my life so why would I need to write it down?  I've had a few friends tell me to just do it and one in particular that PROMISES me she'll read every post, soooo at least I will have an audience for two. Nevertheless, here I go.  I dedicate my blog to my mom, who encouraged me to do what I dreamed, no matter how silly :)
Those of you who know me know that I do not drink coffee.  I never have enjoyed the taste of it unless it was smothered in sugar, mocha or caramel.  Having had my metabolism go down the pooper as I turned 30 a while back, I try to avoid all those extra calories, especially in liquid form, unless, of course, it's a margarita because in that case I'll have three :) So I always have had my usual cup of tea in the morning and usually a home-made chai (or even a real one, if I am lucky) during the day. But recently, I've decided that I need some more kick and wanted to give some homemade coffee drinks a shot.  After pinteresting some recipes and testing a few out, I decided to create a delicious one that isn't half bad for you and isn't loaded with sugar. Some friends have requested my recipe so I will share!  Keep in mind that I am no fancy cook, my husband is MUCH better than me.  I am by-the-recipe type of gal, but i think this turned out pretty good.

Banana Coffee Smoothie

First thing you will have to do is make some "coffee ice cubes".  I only had instant coffee so I used 1 heaping tablespoon and mixed it with two cups of water and poured it in an ice cube tray to set over night.  I have been making two or three trays at a time so that way I have some on-hand.  I also have a plethora of empty trays left over from my baby-food making days, so there is never a shortage of those.  When your cubes are frozen, take them out and place in a zippy freezer bag for easy use.

Ok, now onto the recipe:
10 coffee ice cubes
1 small banana
1 1/4 c skim milk (or whatever milk you use)
1/8 t. vanilla extract
1 t. of sugar (sometime I use 2 t. if i want it a teeny sweeter)
a dash of cinnamon

- I "ice crush" the cubes a bit before to break them up some and then add everything else in the blender and blend till smooth.


There ya go, very easy and lower on calories.  I don't know how many, but I know it's less than a frappuccino!! One batch actually makes twice what the picture shows, I just put in in a fancy cup to look pretty in a picture.  Normally, I fill up my venti iced starbucks cup and get my drink on.    Try it out and let me know how you like it!! 

2 comments:

Courtney said...

I am so proud of you!!!! I got a little teary eyed when you were talking about your Momma... wasn't expecting that! This was a great first post :) I look forward to reading lots more!!

Marissa said...

Go Michelle! I also promise to read everyone!

Post a Comment

Show me some love with a comment!!